Entry form in doc format:
The NOTHING TO DECLARE Essay Writing Contest aims to encourage art criticism and promote a deeper understanding of the exhibition among student viewers. The essays we are looking for will address, refer or respond to the exhibit NOTHING TO DECLARE which will be exhibited at the Blanc Compound (359 Shaw Blvd Interior, Mandaluyong City), UP Vargas Museum (University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City), and Yuchengco Museum (RCBC Plaza, Ayala Avenue, Makati City) from October 18 2011 to 29 January 2012. The Contest is open to all college undergraduate students.
- Who can join and how:
- The contest is open to all individual college undergraduate students.
- Contestants should have seen the exhibits (at least one venue), and signed the attendance sheet.
- Contestants should register and fill up an entry form available at the venues during the exhibit run and at the link above
- This entry form will be attached to the submitted essay and will serve as the contestant’s duly signed certificate of originality.
- Entry forms should be accompanied with any proof of enrolment, such as the enrolment form or certification from the school.
Writing and submitting the essay:
- After viewing the exhibit, contestants can do their library and online research, request interviews with artists and curators, among others. The essay will be written individlly. Essays written by more than one author will not be accepted.
2. Submit an essay, in English, of not more than 1,500 words, Arial 12pt, double-space, and printed on letter-size paper (8½ by 11 inches) or A4 paper.
3. The essay should be placed in a short folder together wit the entry form and proof of enrollment. The folder should be labeled with the student’s name and school.
4. Contestants have two options:
A) Submit an entry for one or two venue/s only. They can submit/drop off entries from 9am to 6pm at the following venues and dates:
Blanc Compound: October 18-November 12, 2011
UP Vargas Museum: November 16, 2011-January 7, 2012
Yuchengco Museum: November 18, 2011 to January 29, 2012
B) Submit an entry about all three venues (preferred). If you choose this option, submit/drop off entry on or before January 29, 2012, at either Vargas Museum or Yuchengco M
5. Entries sent by door-to-door courier will be accepted as long as they are properly labeled and placed in a folder with the required entry form and proof of enrollment, and should be received by
Flaudette May Datuin
Department of Art Studies
University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
- on or before November 18, 2011 for essays about Blanc Compound venue only
- on or before February 10, 2012 for essays about two or all three venues
- Emailed submissions will not be accepted. Judgment Criteria:
- Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
Substance, originality, analysis – 70%
Development and coherence – 15%
Style and presentation – 15%
- Selection and announcement of winners:
- There will be a total of seven (7) finalists, from which three (3) top winners will be chosen
- All decisions of the Panel of Jurors, including the First Screening, shall be final.
- Winners shall be informed by email and SMS.
- Winners or his/her authorized representative are strongly encouraged to attend the awarding ceremony to personally receive their prize, venue and date to be announced later.
inning entries will be published in the Nothing to Declare blog, and venue websites, and the catalogue. and awarding ceremonies
For details and announcements: please log on to: https://nothing2declare2011.wordpress.com/